Friday, May 8, 2009

Who Is a Mother?


It is a custom in the black churches to call the older women, Mother, out or reverence and respect.  These church mothers have done more than just attend church regularly and grown old.  Most of them have actually mothered most of the members of the church.  They have been advisors, educators, correctors, loving arms, and handkerchiefs in times of grief.  They have often mothered the motherless.  It is right to look at them as mothers, for that is what they are.

This phenomenon is not peculiar to only the Black Churches. Mother Theresa is another renowned mother, had no natural children.  Her children where the poor, the infirm, and the dying. Like a mother by her sick child’s side, she comforted, soothed and reassured them with her love and unconditional acceptance. Mother Theresa considered it an honor.  She said, "The title of 'Mother' is the biggest honor I have ever received".  An amazing statement from a Pulitzer Prize winner.

When I gave birth to my daughter, Shannon, the doctor told me I was built to have a dozen children.  I was only mildly amused at the time.  As it turned out I only had one child, but as I look back, I would not have minded having 12.  You see, I feel like I have been a mother all of my life. Following my daughter’s illness and disability, it slowly dawned on me that I would be having no more children. Not only that, I would be having no grandchildren either.  At times I would whine to the Lord about this.  But one day He spoke to me with His reassuring love, “Chere, I have given you many children in the Lord and they have children.  These are your children and grandchildren in Me.”   The first time I was called Mother by one of my spiritual children I was startled.  And then I began to feel as Mother Theresa felt.  What an honor!

What is a Mother's love?

(Photo by Nooksphotostream, Flickr)

It is something that is very, very special.

It is something that no one can really explain.

It's something that is made up of much deep devotion, joy, pain and sacrifice.

It is endless and unselfish and it endures whatever may come.

It is full of hopes, dreams, tears and pleasure.

Nothing can ever destroy it or take that special love away.

It is very patient and forgiving.

A Mother's love is a lifelong commitment to selflessness.

More often than not, it requires much more giving than receiving.

But it is something that is given with delight, gratitude, enthusiasm and much satisfaction.

A Mother's love never fails or falters even though the heart is breaking.

It always believes when all the rest of the world is condemning.

A Mother's love is a splendored miracle that man cannot understand.

It is something that cannot be measured, for it has no beginning or no end. (Author Unknown)


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin