Friday, April 17, 2009

Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline & Some Personal Memories


Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline is a 295-acre (1.19 km2) park in the Point Richmond neighborhood of Richmond, California. It offers panoramic views of the Bay Area especially San Francisco and the North Bay mountains, especially from its high point, Nickols Knob. The park includes Keller Beach on San Pablo Bay and a large picnic and barbecue area. The park is also home to the Golden State Model Railroad Museum. (I’ll be writing more on this in a later Blog, soon)The park is named for former state senator George Miller, Jr. and former State Assembly member and Point Richmond resident John T. Knox.,

The park features many trails for cyclists, dog-walkers, and hikers, and a salt-water lagoon where ducks, seagulls, and Canada geese.

Photos of Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline

  

   

My Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline Walking Partner & “Personal Coach”

After my open-heart surgery in 2004, my friend Eric Neyerlin, a professional photographer, would try to get me to walk around the small Lagoon.  I seldom made it all the way around, but I did learn a lot about photography from him as he rattled on endlessly about light, F-stops, and angles.  I also learned a lot about web design & web business principles, probably more than I wanted. Eric is very exhaustive in his explanations.  You can see some of Eric’s photography on his web site www.zparts.com.  Eric has recently moved to Oregon, but is continuing to sell used Z parts over the Internet.  While he was in Richmond, I also learned more than I wanted about Z-Parts. Thanks for the knowledge, Eric.


My Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline Ferrell Cat Episode

Another not so fond memory I have of Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline was the stray cat episode. I was managing an apartment complex, The Palm Harbor Apartments, and we began to have a real problem with stray cats.  My plan was to capture them one by one and then take them to the SPCA.  Unfortunately, it was Friday evening, by the time I had captured the first one and the SPCA was closed. I did not want to drop them off in my neighborhood, the Iron Triangle, for fear they might find their way back.  So remembering my walks around the Lagoon at Miller/Knox, I decided to drop them off there.  My reasoning was there were plenty of garbage cans in the park for them to eat and, if so inclined, they could hunt for squirrel, duck, etc.  And if that was not to their liking, they could make their way to Point Richmond, which was less than half a mile away and help themselves. Seven trips and nine stray cats later, I accomplished my mission and the cats never came back.  Yet to this day, I wonder how the poor cats made out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin