Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Old Women

Something About Old, Old Women

There is something about old women that is starting to fascinate me.  Perhaps, because I am now old myself, I am trying to figure out how to do old age well.  In reflection, some of the greatest influences on my life have been old women (and some old men). In my neighborhood, I see all kinds of old women.  Some are down trodden, with cracked out teeth, and anorexic bodies.  Some are dignified and graceful offering a stark contract to the squander around them. And then there are the stoop sitting old women observing the world around them.  These old women are more than just busy bodies in our neighborhood.  Their presence lets the neighborhood know, I’m here, I see, I’m interested.

I love Kio Stark’s description of the stoop sitting old women.  I have likewise been blessed by their presence.

down the block

Published October 8, 2008 familiar stranger, old women 1 Comment

There’s a round woman who sits all day on her stoop. She’s the age of a young grandmother, maybe. She’s round and she smiles and watches the people cross her view. When I pass by I always say hello to her. She looks at me for a long moment, and then the corner of her eyes crinkle and she squeaks a kiss at me. It feels like a blessing. Kio Stark’s Blog, Municipal Archive, 10/08/08 (http://municipalarchive.wordpress.com/)

Old Woman, Susan Boyle

I can so identify with Susan Boyle in that I have been a caregiver most of my life.  It is something you do out of love and necessity, but it is not necessarily who you are.  I sense that Susan Boyle had longed to fly for a very long time, but selfless love held her on the ground. When her earthly anchor was cut, she was free to lift off. Boy, didn’t she soar.  When she sang her beautiful song, I Had a Dream, I could not help but fly with her.  What a living expression of the scripture in Isaiah 40:31, “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint.”

Below are two posts I put of Facebook about old women for those who are not on Facebook:

What do you think of Susan Boyle?

What do you think of Susan Boyle? I personally love her and can't wait until she records something, so I can hear more. Ms. Boyle reminds me of my old maid aunt, Anna Lee, I loved her too. Kaiser has a commercial out where they sing, "When I grow up I want to be an old woman, an old, old, old, old, old, old woman." Susan Boyle epitomizes this song to me. Ms. Boyles success touches me, because like a pearl hidden in a shell under the sea in the belly of a clam, she has now been discovered by the talent divers. Her shell may not be glorious, but oh what a beautiful pearl lies within. You can see Susan Boyle on YouTube.

Old Woman Commercial

For those who haven't seen the Kaiser Permantente commercial, here it is. I really like to old cheerleader. What a kick.  You can view this commercial on YouTube under When I Grow Up I Want to Be an Old Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin